I had a game plan for 2020 started in November, but now that the new year is upon us I thought I’d share some of my goals with you. I decided this year to keep things simple and workable with SMART goals in mind.
The first goal is to eliminate video game play from my life. I’ve recognized that my obsessiveness cues in to wanting to master things, and video games is a trap for people who are wiling to sacrifice time for mastery. The problem is that the satisfaction from video games is fleeting and the reward of mastery doesn’t serve me in any area of my life other than entertainment value, and that entertainment can sometimes occupy a huge block of time. So I’m eliminating entirely. I’ve set me initial goal for 1 month with the understanding that I’ll reset each month and evaluate how my life has been impacted. Pray for me, I’m already twitching.
The second goal is to lean harder into my meditation and yoga practices. I am going to do a 30 day yoga session and also take advantage of the gift certificate I got to a local center (thanks, Heather). Yoga and meditation keep me balanced and stops me from going into anxiety inducing thought processes. I feel like I need to kick it up a notch and lean in, so the new year is a great starting point.
The third goal is to expand my business opportunities. I’ve been slacking on this and I think it has to do with my complete lack of interesting in self-promotion. So I have to learn to fight through the “suck” and embrace all manner of work as valuable and meaningful. I’ve got aplan together that goes something like this:
- Build out a new website for my tech consultation. I ‘ve been sitting on a few URLS that I’ve done nothing with, and its time to get to work on them and stop making excuses.
- Research and invest in advertising. I haven’t done any work in this area, mostly because I don’t have the funding but also because I lacked motivation. I’m going to overcome the motivation area and see if I can find low cost ad routes.
- Research ways in which I can be active in the business community. Nothing beats hands-on-flesh. I need to work on expanding my business opportunities and the only way to do that is by building up a professional network.
- Expand my contracting work. This one is really about getting my handle on how small businesses contract to larger ones, I need to get my brain wrapped around the whole business acquisition process and see if I can scale to it.
- Take small contracts when nothing is moving. I have testing work all the time and I largely ignore it. It’s not much money but realistically I need to take them when noting else is going on.
- Lean on the to-do list. I was great at this last year but I slacked a bit towards the holidays. No chance this year, I’m going to double down and stay list focused!
Happy New Year everyone, hope you are motivated to get your resolutions concurred!